Williams CPA & Associates

Williams CPA & Associates is your final destination for all of your Tax, Payroll and Accounting needs.




Business Development

Personal Financial Coaching

williamscpa-home-tax graphic


Our team has the knowledge and expertise to make sure your tax planning, preparation, and filing are done correctly the first time, every time.

WilliamsCPA and Associates-Paying Bills in QuickBooks: The Basics


Running a business is about generating profits – not bookkeeping. Let us take care of the accounting for you, so you can get back to your business and life.

williamscpa-home-payroll graphic


Paying your employees can be your biggest and most stressful time. With our expertise and online web-tools, you can get that time and opportunity back. 

williamscpa-home-business development graphic

Business Development

Growth & Development coaching can be the push in the right direction you need to take your business to the next level. 

williamscpa-home-life planning-graphic-new

Personal Financial Coaching

Life and legacy planning takes you beyond finance and insurance to also focus on the important everyday details you need your loved ones to know.

Days Until Tax Day 2019

Did Your Business Pay Fees On Last Year’s Taxes? Save time and make fewer mistakes by allowing us to handle your business taxes.


Frequently Asked Questions

We’re here to help answer all of your questions.

  • Keep detailed records of your income, expenses, and other information you report on your tax return. A good set of records can help you save money when you do your taxes and will be your trusty ally in case you are audited.

    There are several types of records that you should keep. Most experts believe it’s wise to keep most types of records for at least seven years, and some you should keep indefinitely.

  • Keep records of all your current year income and deductible expenses. These are the records that an auditor will ask for if the IRS selects you for an audit.

    Here’s a list of the kinds of tax records and receipts to keep that relate to your current year income and deductions:

    • Income (wages, interest/dividends, etc.)
    • Exemptions (cost of support)
    • Medical expenses
    • Taxes
    • Interest
    • Charitable contributions
    • Child care
    • Business expenses
    • Professional and union dues
    • Uniforms and job supplies
    • Education, if it is deductible for income taxes
    • Automobile, if you use your automobile for deductible activities, such as business or charity
    • Travel, if you travel for business and are able to deduct the costs on your tax return

    While you’re storing your current year’s income and expense records, be sure to keep your bank account and loan records too, even though you don’t report them on your tax return. If the IRS believes you’ve underreported your taxable income because your lifestyle appears to be more comfortable than your taxable income would allow, having these loan and bank records may be just the thing to save you.

  • Keep the records of your current year’s income and expenses for as long as you may be called upon to prove the income or deduction if you’re audited.

    For federal tax purposes, this is generally three years from the date you file your return (or the date it’s due, if that’s later), or two years from the date you actually pay the tax that’s due, if the date you pay the tax is later than the due date. IRS requirements for record keeping are as follows:

    • You owe additional tax and situations (2), (3), and (4), below, do not apply to you; keep records for 3 years.
    • You do not report income that you should report, and it is more than 25 percent of the gross income shown on your return; keep records for 6 years.
    • You file a fraudulent return; keep records indefinitely.
    • You do not file a return; keep records indefinitely.
    • You file a claim for credit or refund* after you file your return; keep records for 3 years from the date you filed your original return or 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.
    • You file a claim for a loss from worthless securities or bad debt deduction; keep records for 7 years.
    • Keep all employment tax records for at least 4 years after the date that the tax becomes due or is paid, whichever is later.
  • Yes, keep your old tax returns.

    One of the benefits of keeping your tax returns from year to year is that you can look at last year’s return while preparing this year’s. It’s a handy reference and reminds you of deductions you may have forgotten.

    Another reason to keep your old tax returns is that there may be information in an old return that you need later.

    Audits and your old tax returns

    Here’s a reason to keep your old returns that may surprise you. If the IRS calls you in for an audit, the examiner will more than likely ask you to bring your tax returns for the last few years. You’d think the IRS would have them handy, but that’s not the way it works. More than likely, your old returns are stored in a computer, in a storage area, or on microfilm somewhere. Usually, your IRS auditor has just a report detailing the reason the computer picked your return for the audit. So having your old returns allows you to easily comply with your auditor’s request.

    How long should I keep my old tax returns?

    You may want to keep your old returns forever, especially if they contain information such as the tax basis of your house. Probably, though, keeping them for the previous three or four years is sufficient.

    If you throw out an old return that you find you need, you can get a copy of your most recent returns (usually the last six years) from the IRS. Ask the IRS to send you Form 4506, Request for Copy or Transcript of Tax Form. When you complete the form, send it, with the required small fee, to the IRS Service Center where you filed your return.

Acountant finder network logo

Sign Up to Join Our Mailing List!